Building upon the Initiative's foundational document, “Called to Be Catholic: A Church in a Time of Peril”, our 10th Anniversary statement: “Reflecting on the Past, Looking to the Future”, and our first twelve years of experience in service to the Catholic Church in the United States, in 2009 the Catholic Common Ground Initiative developed a strategic plan entitled, “A Living Witness.” The purpose for developing a strategic plan was to reaffirm its mission of convening “Catholics with differing views about critical issues in the Church and to engage in prayerful dialogue for the sake of building up the communion of the Church.” Over the next several years the Initiative will focus on bringing Catholics from diverse communities together for dialogue, providing resources for use on many levels within the church, and engaging younger members.
The preamble to the strategic plan reads, "The Catholic Common Ground Initiative remains attentive to the changing context within our Church today. The Initiative, through this planning process, is renewing its mission, values, vision and goals in ways that will be fruitful to the communion of the Catholic Church. The initiative also recognizes that “our ultimate contribution to the life of the Church in the United States will be in the form of an invitation to a way of ecclesial life, rather than in offering programs or methods.”
In order to enhance participation in the Catholic Common Ground Initiative’s planning process, many individuals and groups shared their wisdom, hopes and concerns. The approved final plan that follows reflects the best thinking of the CCGI Committee.
Strategic Plan: "A Living Witness"
The Catholic Common Ground Initiative, inspired by the call to be one in Christ, invites Catholics with differing views about critical issues in the Church to engage in prayerful dialogue for the sake of building up the communion of the Church.
- Fidelity to the Church’s tradition
- Respect for the dignity of each person
- Courage to enter into respectful dialogue
- Appreciation for legitimate diversity
- Commitment to the mission of Christ in the Church and in the world
In the spirit of renewed commitment, the Initiative has set out goals for the next five years:
- The Catholic Common Ground Initiative convenes Catholics from diverse communities for prayerful dialogues on critical issues.
- The Catholic Common Ground Initiative provides resources for national, diocesan, parish, and academic uses.
- The Catholic Common Ground Initiative engages younger generations in its work.
- The Catholic Common Ground Initiative collaborates with others in advancing shared purposes.
- The Catholic Common Ground Initiative adapts its structure, to clarify its responsibilities and relationships.
- The Catholic Common Ground Initiative is financially viable and sustainable.